In 1880 H & G Simonds, brewers of Reading, UK, established a branch in Malta with stores at Pinto Wharf, Marsa and offices in Palazzo Ferraria. H & G Simonds was one of the first breweries to import beer into Malta to supply the British Garrison housed in barracks situated all over Malta.
In 1919 the Farrugia Flourmills in Hamrun are burnt down in the 'Sette Giuigno' riots and the owners decide to diversify their business by producing industrial gases, notably carbon dioxide; then in 1926 by venturing into brewing.
L. Farrugia & Sons, with a brewery in Hmarun, launched its first beer, Farsons Pale Ale, on April 19th 1928 during the traditional feast of St. George in neighbouring Qormi. This was the first beer ever brewed in Malta. Barely a month later, on Ascension Day, the Malta Export Brewery, run by the Scicluna Family, launched a beer as well, the Cisk Pilsner.
In 1929 L. Farrugia & Sons and the Malta branch of H & G Simonds merged. The new company is called Simonds Farsons Limited and starts operating on March 1st. Brigadier General Harry Simonds de Brett and Lewis Victor Farrugia are elected the Company's first Chairman and Managing Director respectively.
In 1946 work began to construct a new brewery at Mriehel to the plan and design of Lewis V. Farrugia. Lewis V. Farrugia was an architect and civil engineer by profession.
In 1948 Simonds Farsons Limited and The Malta Export Brewery merged. The new company was called Simonds Farsons Cisk Limited . General Simonds de Brett and Lewis V. Farrugia retained their former titles wile Marquis John Scicluna is appointed Vice Chairman.
In 1950 the new brewery at Mriehel is formally inaugurated in July, by the Governor and Commander-in-Chief of Malta., Sir Gerald Creasy, and is blessed by the Archbishop, his grace Mgr Michael Gonzi.