In 1075 Robrecht de Fries, the Count of Flanders, built a castle on the ruins of a monastery inhabited by English monks in 640 (hence the place name : Anglomonasterium).
On account of its strategic position, at the gates of West Flanders, along the Mandel river, at a junction on the strategic road between Courtrai and Bruges, Ingelmunster was called « the key to Flanders ».
The present building which goes back to 1736 (with cellars dating from the Middle Ages), is typical of its period, a time when castles had lost their military function. They were luxurious residences, a place where hospitality and good taste went hand in hand. The seigneury of Ingelmunster, which has been a baronetcy since the end of the 16th century, has belonged to several families :
1. Under the counts of Flanders, including among others de Rhodes and van Gistel (1000 – 1384) Under the Dukes of Burgundy, German and French families, and more particularly the Bourgondi and van Kleef families (1384 – 1583)
2. The de Plotho family (1583 – 1825)
3. The de Montblanc family (1825 – 1986)
4. In 1986 the castle was bought by the Van Honsebrouck family, who have been brewing in Ingelmunster since 1900.
On September 17, 2001, a fire broke out in the castle that completely destroyed the museum-brewery.
It has since been rebuilt. Please see our website for tour information.