The Murphy family’s association with Cork started some time between 1709 and 1711, with the arrival of Nicholas O’ Murphy in Carrigrohane, west of Cork city. Jeremiah, son of Nicholas then moved closer to Cork, leasing land in Bishopstown. Jeremiah married Mary Anne Redmond and they had two sons, Daniel and Jeremiah. The eldest son, Daniel, became a farmer while Jeremiah moved into Cork city and entered the leather trade.
The Murphy Brewery celebrates 150 years of brewing from 1856 to 2006 going from strength to strength; the now legendary stout is sold in over 40 countries and recognised worldwide as superior stout. We hope James J. would be proud.