BeerCloud for iPhone has Arrived!
In the past decade, a thriving beer culture has blossomed in America, which now boasts the most stylistically diverse lineup of beers on earth. But with such great variety comes the inherent challenge of consumer education, particularly at the point of purchase. Responding to this challenge, pioneering beverage wholesalers have joined forces to provide brewers with a central marketing platform, deemed Great Brewers. The mission of Great Brewers is to bridge the gap between the world’s great brewers and the consumers who enjoy their products, with a paramount focus on education and on enhancing beer distribution practices through the sharing of information.
Experienced leaders in beer education at the retail level, the L. Knife & Son Companies (MA, NY, WI, NJ, MD, DC, VA), Ben E. Keith (TX), and a beer passionate Florida wholesaler (joining Great Brewers in December) now reach millions of consumers in their respective markets through Great Brewers. With a burgeoning online community, GreatBrewers.com is creating innovative ways for brewers to engage consumers at the point of purchase through the September release of BeerCloud for Google’s Android, and the November 14 launch of BeerCloud for Apple’s iPhone. So far, the response has been overwhelmingly positive. BeerCloud has instantly become the top rated beer app for iPhone (4.5 stars with 44 ratings), and dozens of brewers have engaged in the Voice of the Brewer program.
Powered by GreatBrewers.com, BeerCloud is a revolutionary mobile app that helps you pair beer with food, track down your favorite beers in your neighborhood, discover the world of beer styles, and pull up a full description of nearly any beer in seconds. Whether you're a beer consumer who could use some guidance in making a well-educated purchase, a food lover looking to discover new ways to enhance a meal with a complementary beer pairing, or a traveling beer enthusiast who wants to instantly map the closest stores, bars, and restaurants carrying your favorite beers, BeerCloud is an essential iPhone app. From an iPhone, click here to install BeerCloud.
Today’s beer drinkers have access to a far greater variety of beer than ever before, but with thousands of unique offerings representing more than 140 distinct styles, consumers can easily get overwhelmed. According to Eric McKay, the creator of GreatBrewers.com, "BeerCloud simplifies the process of learning about beer at the point of purchase, choosing the perfect beer to pair with a specific food, understanding a diverse range of beer styles, and mapping the closest bars, restaurants, and stores that currently offer one’s favorite beers." With the host of powerful features outlined below, BeerCloud may change the way you shop for beer forever!
"If you have this encyclopedic database on hand you can cheat on your go-to beer style with confidence… the killer app for on-the-go beer and food pairing."
- - Sam Calagione, Owner of Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Get BeerCloud on your iPhone
From your iPhone or a computer with iTunes installed, click the App Store icon below or navigate to the App Store and search "BeerCloud".
Watch the video below to see BeerCloud for iPhone in action.
Beer & Brewery Descriptions
- Search the perpetually growing database of 2,900+ beers from GreatBrewers.com
- Descriptions include product image, style, taste profile, food pairing recommendation, strength (ABV), color (SRM), and bitterness (IBU)
- View more than 400 brewery pages for a description and a list of beers they produce
GPS Beer Finder
- Track down your favorite beers in your neighborhood with your iPhone's built-in GPS*
- Search includes beer offerings at more than 50,000 bars, restaurants, and stores
- Distance appears next to each retailer - click a retailer for details, a map, and directions
- Beer Finder data perpetually updated with shipments from local wholesalers
*Location services limited to states covered by the Beer Finder with more territories coming in near future
- Recommends complementary beer style accompaniments for more than 250 foods
- Select main ingredient, then select dish and see recommended style pairings
- Clicking a specific style reveals commercial examples of that style
Learn more about the Beer Sommelier
- Browse and read thorough descriptions of more than 140 beer styles and sub-styles
- Descriptions include history, food complements, vital statistics, and glassware and serving temperature guidance
- Style descriptions are created by GreatBrewers.com while sub-style guidelines are provided by the Brewers Association
- Click any sub-style to see commercial examples
Features Coming in the Next Release
- Tag favorite beers, brewers, and places to buy beer
- "Favorites Map" - maps the 25 closest bars, restaurants, and stores carrying any of your favorite beers
- Write, save, and share tasting notes on any beer
- Seamless integration with GreatBrewers.com account
- James Yonac, the head of Yonac Software, joins the Great Brewers team as the lead iPhone developer for BeerCloud. When he's not enjoying craft beer, Yonac is reinventing the way people create music with a celebrated lineup of iPhone apps.
- Eric McKay, creator of GreatBrewers.com, is a self-professed beer geek who is dedicated to helping the world discover great beer.
- Jingsheng Wang, the lead developer of GreatBrewers.com and BeerCloud, is an open-source purist and an Android fanatic who takes a fresh approach to software engineering.
- Tom Byrne, GreatBrewers.com's lead graphic designer celebrates two of his passions, art and great beer, by designing great beer art.
iPhone Customer Reviews
Average of 50 ratings - Version 1.0
as of November 20, 2009
Outstanding beer app!
by beernwngs – Version 1.0 – Nov 19, 2009
This is the beer app that I have been waiting for! No other beer app has as many QUALITY BEERS listed! Well thought out and loaded with great info! I would give it 10 stars if I could.
Beer is Good
by Woobacca the Chookie – Version 1.0 – Nov 14, 2009
This app is very useful and FREE so I recommend it to everyone. It is a GREAT resource when I am at a bar and see a beer I haven’t heard of. You can just look it up and it tells you the ABV, style, all kinds of info. And the beer finder function is pretty much awesome when you are jonesing for a specific beer!
Great beer app
by NYC Beer – Version 1.0 – Nov 13, 2009
There has been a lot of focus on the wine apps for iPhone. Finally there’s a beer app worthy of some praise.
Great, I Love It
by carlkeltos – Version 1.0 – Nov 14, 2009
This is a great app for beer lovers, I love it so much
Very Cool App
by excal49 – Version 1.0 – Nov 14, 2009
Awesome way to find a variety of beers on the go. Get this app!
WOW and WOW!!!
by onalgor – Version 1.0 – Nov 14, 2009
I love that I can now find my beer wherever I go. I mean this really is the best cool app. Keeps me busy for hours. Thanks for building this app!!!